Research Culture Cafés
An opportunity for you to share experiences of our current research culture.
As part of our ongoing work to create and promote a positive and inclusive research culture we are holding a series of café style conversations. These are based on the format used by the Wellcome Trust as a space to discuss challenges and propose ideas. By getting involved you can contribute to discussion on the challenges you face, what we are already doing well and could share more widely, and what would a better culture look like. The Cafés form part of an ongoing project to promote a positive research culture, and the discussions will help to propose solutions for how the institution could change.
Collaboration and community are key to a vibrant, healthy culture so come along and take part. Have your say.
How the Cafés work
Our Culture Cafés are run as small group discussions with a facilitator to help guide and direct the conversation. There may be some questions used to help get the group started. Groups will contain a mix of up to 10 people. The facilitator will make notes but these will be anonymised. At the end of each Café the challenges, examples of best practice and ideas will be shared with all participants through our Research Culture Community.
Café conversations will be run regularly, approximately every two months. You are welcome to participate in as many as you wish. Each Café will have at least two themes (tables) aligned to our Research Culture roadmap:
- Personal development, reward and recognition
- Open research and impact
- Equality, diversity and inclusion in research
- Responsible research and innovation
- A collegiate and supportive environment
- Tuesday 18 October 2022 (2-3pm, online) - Open Topic. Book here
- Thursday 15 December 2022 (10-11am, online) - EDI in Research and Development, Reward and Recognition. Book here
- Monday 17 April 2023 (9.30-10.30am, online) - EDI in Research, Open Research and Responsible Research. Book here
- Tuesday 20 June 2023 (2-3pm, on campus) - Open Topic. Book here
- Thursday 17 August 2023 (10-11am, online) - Open Research and Development, Reward and Recognition. Book here
Another part of the project is to build a Research Culture Community, a network to discuss further plans and to provide members with an opportunity to share their ideas and examples of best practice. The Cafés and community will be supported by our new Research Culture Team. Join the team and get involved.